Activities in the family-oriented resort area of Sapphire will keep you coming back to Jackson County year after year.
This quaint North Carolina community is best known for its resorts, including Sapphire Valley Ski Resort and the Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Sapphire Valley. Sapphire also offers miles of hiking trails, forests, and stunning waterfalls.
When you’re finished on the slopes, visit nearby Sapphire Mountain Brewing Company, a lively pub overlooking the Sapphire National Golf Course, and relax with a delicious meal and refreshing brew. The Sapphire Valley Resort also includes Frozen Falls—a two-lane tubing park—tennis courts, footgolf, and a zip line through the valley.
More to Explore
Wondering what else Sapphire has to offer? We’re glad you asked. Check out some more activities and area adventures below!
- Sapphire Valley Ski Area opens mid-December and stays open until mid-to-late February, depending on weather. Learn more at skisapphirevalley.com.
- Whitewater Falls – This waterfall is one of the highest in the Rockies, standing at 411 feet. With a paved path to an overlook and plenty of space to have a picnic in the area, you and your family can make a day of the excursion.
- Gorges State Park near Sapphire and Lake Toxaway is a 7,709-acre North Carolina state park with endless hiking trails and waterfalls.
- Waterfall tours in Cashiers and Highlands – Explore the best of the waterfalls in WNC with our waterfall guide located online here.
- Whitewater Equestrian Center – Find fun for the whole family as you ride horseback through scenic trails in the Cashiers plateau.
- Panthertown Valley – In the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Cashiers is home to Panthertown Valley, considered to be the ‘Yosemite of the East’ and features some of the most scenic views in the United States. It is part of the Nantahala National Forest and Panthertown features over 30 miles of mixed use trails for hiking, biking, and outdoor pursuits. Make sure to take a map!
- Check-in at our numerous lodging properties including townhomes, cottages, vacation rentals, country clubs, and more. Amenities include outdoor pools, wi-fi, onsite dining and more!
- For a fun activity with friends, check out Whiteside Brewing on the Jackson County Ale Trail, serving up locally brewed goodness and excellent pub food.
- Sapphire National Golf Course – On this scenic mountain course, impeccable views are par for the course. Surrounded by lush forests, the impressive course includes a waterfall hole and island green for a truly memorable experience.
- Lake Glenville – With 26-miles of shoreline, seven islands and three gorgeous waterfalls, Lake Glenville is a getaway in itself. One of the highest-elevation lakes east of the Rocky Mountains, Lake Glenville is the largest lake in Jackson County and has earned a reputation as a bass fisherman’s delight. Perfect for boating and water-skiing, Lake Glenville also features a swimming area with a sand beach and trail to High Falls. The surrounding Glenville community includes historic churches and unique shops.
Ready to plan your trip to Sapphire?
Take a look at our Trip Ideas to get inspiration for your next mountain getaway. Or check out some FAQs to get all your Jackson County questions answered.
Are You Ready?
Request our free visitor guide and find out all there is to do in Jackson CountyGet Our Free Visitor Guide