Located on Jackson County’s largest lake, Glenville is a popular community with gorgeous waterfront homes in the North Carolina mountains.
Sitting 3,500-feet above sea level with 26 miles of shoreline, Lake Glenville is the highest lake east of the Mississippi River located in the Blue Ridge mountains. In the historic Hamburg community, Glenville draws visitors from across the Southeast for its country-club environment combined with great shopping and dining in neighboring Cashiers.
Lake Glenville is known for its renowned bass fishing. The lake is also home to smallmouth bass, catfish, crappie, bream, and perch. With an average summer temperature of 83 degrees, Glenville is the perfect place to escape the summer heat. Many generations of families visit Glenville each year to enjoy this lakeside community’s beauty with its low-key lifestyle and wide array of activities.
An hour west of Asheville, Glenville is a paradise for a day out of the city. It’s only a short distance from Sylva, Cullowhee, Cherokee, and Sapphire.
With the charming town of Cashiers just a short drive away, you can easily enjoy everything both areas have to offer! TripAdvisor reviews put it best: “Simply one of the most picturesque lakes we’ve ever seen.” The air is crisp, clean, and cool.
More to Explore
Glenville is full of unique experiences. Find the perfect one for you below, so that you can plan your ideal trip to the mountains.
- High Falls – Hike up to High Falls to witness the beauty of this waterfall, including a two-section free fall over a cliff. They don’t call it High Falls for nothing!
- Waterfall tours of Cashiers, Highlands and Franklin – Explore the best of the waterfalls in WNC without waterfall guide located online here.
- Swimming at Lake Glenville – Bring the family to the Pines Recreation Area to enjoy the beach and the mountains—the best of both worlds! You can swim, lounge, or paddleboard the day away.
- Waterfall Cruises – Boating anyone? All aboard for a scenic waterfall boat cruise on Lake Glenville! Captain Mark’s Boat Tours depart from Signal Ridge Marina on a 28-foot luxury pontoon yacht. Be sure to check out Mill Creek falls, one of three hidden waterfalls only accessible by boat.
- Nearby fly fishing on the Tuckasegee River is a popular activity if bass fishing isn’t your thing. Our WNC Fly Fishing Trail® maps out fifteen prime spots to catch Brook, Brown, and Rainbow trout.
- Vacation Rentals abound in Glenville, with lakefront views that are among the most spectacular in Western North Carolina.
- Western Carolina University, in Cullowhee, is only twenty minutes from Glenville, so visitors can readily enjoy a WCU Basketball, Football, or Baseball game while visiting alongside countless programs and displays at the Bardo Arts Center and Fine Art Museum.
Ready to plan your trip to Lake Glenville NC, one of the most beautiful towns and lakes in the United States?
Take a look at our Trip Ideas to get inspiration for your next mountain getaway. Or check out some FAQs to get all your Jackson County questions answered.
Are You Ready?
Request our free visitor guide and find out all there is to do in Jackson CountyGet Our Free Visitor Guide