Your Mountain Adventure Starts Here
Whether you’re looking to explore the great outdoors, experience Appalachian arts and culture, or simply relax in a secluded cabin, Jackson County has it all. Start planning your getaway with the resources and ideas below. See you soon!
- One of the highest waterfalls east of the Rocky Mountains, Whitewater Falls, at 411 feet
- One of the highest lakes east of the Rockies Lake Glenville at 3,500 feet above sea level
- More Mountain Heritage Trout waters than anywhere else in the state (Jackson County has 3)
- More mountains – 185 named summits and Whiteside Mountain, which boasts the highest vertical cliffs in the Eastern United States, is considered by some geologists to be the oldest mountain in the world. (390 to 460 million years old)
- More waterways – 250 named creeks and rivers – with the most Mountain Heritage Trout waters than anywhere else in the state (Jackson County has 3) – plus more fish are stocked in our streams than anywhere else in the state (92,800 in 2016)
- More miles of Blue Ridge Parkway – 70+ – and the highest point along Blue Ridge Parkway – Richland Balsam overlook (6,053 ft.)
- The highest continuous cliff east of Rockies is at Laurel Knob (best viewed from Lonesome Valley). It is 1,200 feet of continuous rock cliff.
- Largest box canyon east of the Rockies – Lonesome Valley
- The only place in the country you can see the ‘Shadow of the Bear’
- Smallest U.S. Post office – Grimshawes (1903-53)
There are so many ways to Play On in Jackson County! Ranging from adventurous to indulgent and everything in between, here are a few trip ideas to help you get started:
Winter Getaway →
Outdoor Adventure →
Eat Like A Local →
Girlfriends’ Getaway →
Fishermen’s Retreat →
Artisan Shopper →
Mid-Week Traveler →
Rainy Day →
Prefer to get a firsthand perspective of Jackson County from a local? Choose from an incredible selection of tours or create your own!
Looking for the perfect place to get married? Look no further. Jackson County offers a variety of venues to make your special day memorable.
Click on any of the venues below for more information: