A map is highly recommended to hike in Panthertown Valley. Learn more here and get trailhead directions. Once at the Salt Rock trailhead:
You’ll descend on Panthertown Valley Trail (#474) from the gate for 0.3 mile to Salt Rock, which offers a wide-open view of the valley. Continue descending on the road. At 0.59 mile, you’ll reach a fork. The road to the left provides the easiest access to Granny Burrell Falls. Take the right fork onto Deep Gap Trail (#449). It follows a mostly level course for about 0.25 mile, then descends moderately to the ford of Frolictown Creek at 0.43 mile from the road fork. There are side paths on both sides of the road 20 yards before the ford. The path on the right leads to Wilderness Falls. The path on the left leads a few yards to the base of Frolictown Falls.
Leave No Trace — Seven Principles
1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
6. Respect Wildlife
7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors
For more details, visit www.lnt.org
©1999 by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
- Heed posted warning signs indicating danger and stay on established trails.
- Never climb on or around waterfalls and never play in the water above a waterfall. Rocks can be slippery and it’s easy to lose your balance especially with bare feet. Currents near waterfalls can be extremely swift even in areas further upstream.
- Never jump off waterfalls or dive into plunge pools at the base of waterfalls. Rocks and logs can be hidden beneath the surface of the water. Often waterfall pools have swirling water or currents that can drag and keep you underwater.
- Even if you have seen other people enjoy playing around waterfalls, be aware they have been lucky to escape unharmed. Waterfalls are constantly changing with varying water flows and erosion of the rocks around them. The current from one place to the next may be faster than you anticipate and the arrangement of rocks or other debris such as logs in the plunge pool is ever changing.