With more than 260 craft breweries throughout North Carolina, it’s no wonder there is an entire month dedicated to celebrate the state’s beer culture. NC Beer Month, which will be celebrated in April, is now in its seventh year.
With a growing craft beer scene of its own, Jackson County proudly welcomes visitors to come sample the smooth golden ales, hoppy IPAs and other tasty offerings at its trail of local breweries. From Innovation Brewing and Balsam Falls Brewing Co. in Sylva to Innovation Station in Dillsboro and Whiteside Brewing Co. in Cashiers, there is no shortage of events, specials and beers to enjoy all month long.
Jackson County is an ideal place to stay this NC Beer Month thanks to its prime location in the center of all the action, fewer crowds than larger cities, and plenty of beer specials.
To kick off NC Beer Month in Jackson County, Sylva’s Brew Hop invites visitors to experience a taste of local and regional brews on April 6 from 3 to 7 p.m. Now in its fourth year, this event showcases some of the area’s best beers and bites. Ticket-holders will be able to stop by City Lights Café, Balsam Falls Brewing, Innovation Brewing, Mad Batter Food & Film, and The Cut Cocktail Lounge to taste two 4 oz. pours of local or regional beers. Tickets range between $25 and $35.
Where to Go
Visitors can celebrate NC Beer Month with more than 50 brews on tap at the breweries along our Ale Trail. Each of our breweries also offer weekly programming visitors should be sure to take advantage of:
Innovation Brewing in Sylva:
- Sundays – Dart League at 6:30 p.m.
- Mondays – Trivia Night at 7 p.m.
- Wednesdays – Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursdays – Live Jazz at 8 p.m.
- For Beer Month, Innovation Brewing will be offering a chocolate and beer pairing with Baxley’s Chocolates. You’ll be able to enjoy a flight of five beers with five chocolates that have been paired to the flight!
Balsam Falls Brewing in Sylva:
- Tuesdays – Beer Brains Trivia at 8 p.m.
- 2nd Wednesday – Artsy Wednesday (Adult Coloring) 6 p.m.
- 3rd Wednesday – Paint ‘n Pour or crafts
- Thursdays – Open Mic Night
- Select Fridays – Live Music
Innovation Station in Dillsboro:
- Wednesdays – Trivia at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturdays – Rotating live music starting between 7 and 8 p.m.
- Sundays – Yoga at noon
Whiteside Brewing in Cashiers:
- Keep up with the brewery’s active calendar of events on their Facebook page.
- To celebrate Beer Month, purchase a $89 stay in a classic room at the Laurelwood Inn and receive a $20 gift card to Whiteside Brewing Co. Whiteside will also be hosting brewery tours with beer samples at 5:30 p.m. on April 12th and 26th.
Take Time to Explore
While visiting the area’s breweries, take time to pair your beer with some of the county’s fun-filled activities. Thanks to our prime location in the mountains of Western North Carolina, you’ll find a wide variety of outdoor adventure, including hiking, biking, rafting and fishing. For a more relaxing way to take in the majestic mountain views, explore the Blue Ridge Parkway and bring along a picnic lunch to enjoy at one of the many overlooks along the way.
Shopping fanatics will find an eclectic mix of local boutiques, antique shops and art galleries filled with local treasures and crafts in Sylva, Dillsboro and Cashiers. Their wares not only would make a great addition to your home, but they also would be a wonderful memento of your visit.
After a busy day, relax at one of our fantastic breweries and grab a bite to eat. While in Dillsboro at Innovation Station, explore the area’s restaurant scene by stopping by Foragers Canteen, which is located next door, or Haywood Smokehouse, which made Yelp’s list of Top 100 Places to Eat in the U.S. in 2019. Innovation Brewing’s Pie Times, Cosmic Carry Out and Whiteside all offer a full menu of great eats to go with your chosen beers. Additionally, all breweries allow you to bring your own food, and Balsam Falls and Innovation Station even allow you to have food delivered.
For dessert, stop by Sugar Cloud Baking Company in Cashiers and try one of their Brew Pops! This innovative dessert is made with layers of local porters and stouts, baked into a delicious chocolate mocha brew cake and finished with chocolate buttercream. To celebrate NC Beer Month, Sugar Cloud Baking Company will offer a special buy one get one free special on brew pops. Use the code “BREWPOPBOGO2019” at checkout online or in store.
In addition to NC Beer Month, April is a fantastic time to visit while enjoying milder temperatures taking in the colors of spring. You’re sure to find an accommodation within our wide variety of options that fits your budget and style. To help you start planning, order your free Visitor Guide today.