In Jackson County, hilarity ensues during our annual Outhouse Races at Sapphire Valley Resort. Come for the races and stay to hit the slopes and enjoy some great dining, too!
Off-Beat & Oh, So Fun
The Sapphire Valley Outhouse Races is as quirky as it gets and it’s just the way it sounds. Homemade outhouses are secured to a pair of skis and pushed down a 120-foot, snow-blanketed racecourse by two team members while a third member sits inside.
Taking place annually over President’s Day Weekend, (this year on February 18), the Outhouse Races are fun for all. Dozens of teams return each year to compete by using a variety of materials like wood, cardboard and plastic and other handmade items to construct their ‘thrones’.
Each outhouse is uniquely decorated and appropriately named like “The Royal Flush,” and to add to the fun, team members and spectators are always encouraged to wear crazy outfits and incorporate themes!
Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing
While at Sapphire Valley, don’t miss out on your chance to ski or snowboard! The resort is home to a 1600-foot run, a chair lift, and an introductory slope with a moving carpet, making it ideal for first timers and beginner skiers. Unlike most crowded ski resorts, lift lines here are short, and there’s even an on-site learning center with certified instructors who can teach the fundamentals. Don’t worry about bringing gear either because you can rent everything you need from skis and boots to poles and snowboards.
There’s also a multi-lane, 500-foot snow tubing run called Frozen Falls Tube Park at Sapphire Valley. Tubing sessions are available for approximately two hours on a first come, first served basis.
After all that time out on the mountain, refuel at our great restaurants nearby:
- SlopeSide Tavern — located at the base of the resort. Menu items include wings, truffle tots, quesadillas, flatbreads and more.
- Mica’s Restaurant & Pub – located just outside Sapphire Valley, Mica’s is a year-round restaurant with pizzas, salads and more. Come for the food, stay for the live music!
- Winslow’s Hideaway – a cozy mountain setting with American-inspired dishes like fresh crab legs, prime rib and homemade desserts.
- The Ugly Dog Pub – this Cashiers gather place is known for its craft cocktails, regional brews, and elevated pub food.
- Whiteside Brewing Co. – tasty American cuisine couples with a large selection of both local and house-brewed beers, wine and more.
It’s time to book your stay at Sapphire Valley Resort or in nearby Cashiers, whether you plan to attend this year’s Outhouse Races or just hit the slopes! Use our Trip Planner to get started.