Nothing better represents the combination of adventure and recreation than the parachute hammock. Whether you’re looking for a place to hang while watching the sun set over the mountains, resting after a rigorous hike, reading your favorite book, or snuggling with your pup, Jackson County offers stunning and secluded hammock hotspots worth seeking and sharing. Home to the most named summits in the state, (185 to be exact), jaw-dropping vistas, Jackson County contains all you could want in a mountain escape. Venture to this natural paradise with a hammock in tow and find out why Jackson County is the official “Hammock Adventure Capital of the U.S.A.”
Kick Back Between the Trees
Thanks to the limitless outdoor adventure options such as fly fishing, hiking, rafting and chasing waterfalls, there are plenty of opportunities for outdoor exploration in a laid-back setting that makes this destination a must for prime relaxation between the trees.
Pick the Perfect Hammock Hideout: Best Places to Hang Your Hammock in Jackson County
- Most Accessible, Silver Run Falls: Known as one of the county’s most beautiful waterfalls, Silver Run is also a great place to spend the day, swimming, or lounging around. There are plenty of places to set up for the day along the banks of the falls large sandy swimming hole.
- Most Refreshing, Along the Tuck: Running through the towns of Jackson County, the Tuckasegee River is ideal for fishing, swimming, paddling or lazily floating. Not only a great spot for recreation, “The Tuck” also provides plenty of sites to hang your hammock on the banks and enjoy the soothing sounds of the running river water.
- Most Private, Panthertown Valley and Schoolhouse Falls: Known for being an outdoor lovers paradise due to the diverse ecosystem and awe inspiring beauty, Panthertown is a favorite amongst hikers, photographers, backpackers, mountain bikers and waterfall seekers. Although a variety of stunning scenery awaits at every turn, the 18-foot Schoolhouse Falls in Panthertown Valley is a favorite in the area. Be sure to grab a map to navigate the area and to plan your adventure.
- Most Active, Pinnacle Park: After ascending more than 3,000 feet in elevation along this 7-mile strenuous trek, you’ll be ready to hang out, relax and soak in the view awarded to you at the top. Throughout the park, you will be greeted with streams, waterfalls and panoramic views, so take your time and enjoy the journey to the top.
- Most Inspiring, Waterrock Knob: This 1.2-mile roundtrip hike is short, but steep as you make your way to the 6,292-foot summit, but the panoramic views and scenes of the mountains below are well worth the effort. Views line the way up to the top, so find some sturdy branches to take a break and catch your breath on the way up, or take some time to enjoy a picnic, some relaxation and the view from the top.
- Most Relaxing, Lake Glenville: With 26 miles of shoreline, seven islands, and three waterfalls, this resident favorite offers ample opportunities to hang your hammock and catch up on much needed R&R. Enjoy the crystal clear waters of the lake and cast a line to catch large and small mouth bass, walleye, yellow perch and crappie.
- Most scenic, Whiteside Mountain Trail: Boasting the highest vertical cliffs in the Eastern United States, Whiteside Mountain is surrounded by breathtaking views. From your hammock, you might even catch a glimpse of the peregrine falcons that nest here in the spring and summer and the Mountain Laurel that blooms in mid-June.
Remember safety first! Take care in choosing where to hang your hammock by staying near official trails, avoiding slippery rocks around waterfalls and seeking out sturdy trees to tie up.
How to Win Your Hammock!
With so many places to discover, we encourage you to come and find your own perfect spot to hang your hammock. If you don’t already have a hammock –or need a new one – Discover Jackson NC will be giving away one Discover Jackson NC branded hammock each week until September 25th, 2020. Complete the below quick and easy steps to enter:
- Tag @DiscoverJacksonNC and @ENOhammocks on Instagram
- Tag (3) of your favorite adventure friends in the comments section below (on our @DiscoverJacksonNC hammock post)
Keep in mind that, after a day of adventure and relaxation in nature, you can enjoy the plethora of delicious dining options offered in our county. You can even check out the Jackson County Ale Trail and sample some delicious craft brews along with house-made non-alcoholic beverages including kombucha and ginger ale. To help plan your getaway and book your adventure today, download our free visitor guide. We are looking forward to you coming to discover Jackson County and hanging out for a while!