The Jackson County Tourism Development Authority Announces its Tourism Capital Project Fund
JACKSON COUNTY, N.C. (February 16, 2022) – Over the past year, the Jackson County Tourism Development Authority has worked with staff, tourism consultants, and its board to create the Tourism Capital Project Fund. Initially funded with $500,000 in occupancy tax revenues paid by visitors, the fund will be utilized to enhance both the resident and visitor experience within the destination.
Under state legislation, the JCTDA may expend one-third of its annual budget on brick-and-mortar capital projects to include convention and conference centers, arenas and stadiums, sports facilities, performing arts venues, museums and other attractions, parks, greenways, trails, other placemaking initiatives like streetscapes and public art, wayfinding and more. Although no public tax dollars are used in these projects,” says JTDA Director Nick Breedlove, “the public will still benefit significantly through these efforts that will strengthen the vibrancy of the community, generate additional room nights, and enhance both the resident and visitor experience.”
With the new TCPF, funds are available for projects that are owned and operated publicly or by nonprofits. A one-to-one match is required. Eligible projects include:
- New construction, expansion, renovation, or a replacement project for an existing facility or facilities. The project must have a total cost of at least $25,000 over the life of the project and a useful life of at least 10 years.
- A purchase of major equipment (assets) costing $25,000 or more with a useful life of at least 10 years.
- A major maintenance or rehabilitation project for existing facilities with a cost of $25,000 or more and a useful life of at least 10 years.
Full details of the TCPF program and an application is available on www.JacksonCountyTDA.com under the ‘TCPF’ tab.
Projects recommended by the TCPF Selection Committee and the JCTDA Full Board will have to be approved by Jackson County Commissioners. In future years, two funding cycles will be held, however, due to timing, one cycle will be held this year according to the following schedule:
- 6/1/22 – Pre-Submittal Conference
- 8/1/22 – Due to TCPF Selection Committee
- 8/3/22 – TCPF Selection Committee Meeting
- 8/18/22 – JCTDA Full Board Meeting
- 9/13/22 – Jackson County Commissioners Work Session
- 9/20/22 – Jackson County Commissioners Full Meeting
- 10/20/22 – Funding Agreement Executed
“We are excited to take this next strategic step for the betterment of Jackson County’s future tourism,” says JCTDA Chairman Robert Jumper. “The fund will merge tourism and community interests in a way that was not possible before, creating long-term support for the business community and citizenry of our destination.”
For more information on the TCPF, contact JCTDA Executive Director Nick Breedlove by email at Director@DiscoverJacksonNC.com or by telephone at 828-339-1160.