Take Proposal Season to New Heights in Jackson County
New Year’s remains a very popular time of year for marriage proposals. After all, it’s a momentous time of year filled with hope and new beginnings, so why not ring in 2019 with a ring? When it comes to popping the question, Jackson County is an ideal place for such a big moment. Given its location in the Western North Carolina mountains, there’s no shortage of beautiful scenery that makes the perfect backdrop not only for a proposal, but also for beautiful proposal photos. And after you pop the question, you’ll find plenty of places to celebrate that magic word – “Yes!”
When it comes to planning your proposal in Jackson County, follow these five easy steps:
Step 1: Pick the right person. If you’re ready to pop the question, you’ve already found the perfect person for you!
Step 2: Pick the place. Jackson County is filled with gorgeous mountain vistas, scenic valleys and beautiful waterfalls – all idyllic proposal spots. To get you started, consider these picturesque locations to add to the magical moment:
- High Falls: This 100-foot waterfall fed by the West Fork Tuckasegee River makes a gorgeous backdrop for a marriage proposal. The trail to reach it is less than one mile, but prepare for the many steps along the way.
- Whiteside Mountain: With its sheer, vertical cliffs and panoramic views, Whiteside Mountain’s 4,930-foot crest provides the perfect proposal spot for those looking for a view that will take your breath away almost as much as popping the question will!
- Silver Run Falls: Just outside of Cashiers, this 30-foot waterfall is a gorgeous, simple waterfall that spills into a pool below. It is easily reached thanks to a flat, 200-yard-long trail.
- Lake Glenville: Enjoy this scenic 26-mile shoreline lake surrounded by mountains. Take advantage of the reflection in the lake’s water for some lovely proposal photos.
- Pinnacle Trail: After this 3.4-mile hike, your partner will be totally unsuspecting! Though this is a longer, more strenuous hike, the beautiful panoramic vista at the end will make it totally worth it.
- For additional ideas for the perfect proposal backdrop, check out our previous blog post about the most “Instagrammable” spots within Jackson County!
Step 3: Make accommodation reservations. For those wanting to celebrate with a romantic getaway or those who want to share their proposal getaway with family and friends, you’ll find plenty of choices for every need and budget. Whether it’s a hotel room or a cozy Airbnb, Jackson County offers a wide variety of accommodations.
Celebrate at one of Jackson County’s restaurants, cocktail bars or breweries. The Paper Mill, The Cut Cocktail Lounge or the Jackson County Ale Trail provide perfect libations to cheers to the occasion.
For a full-fledged culinary celebration, visit one of the area’s upscale restaurants. The Orchard in Cashiers epitomizes rustic elegance in a 100-year-old farmhouse with a seasonal menu created from local ingredients. If you want fresh steaks and seafood, Lulu’s on Main in Sylva serves up a full menu in an edgy, retro atmosphere. At the Sapphire Valley Resort, you can opt for unique tapas at Table 64 or enjoy fine dining at The Library Kitchen and Bar.
Of course, no celebration is complete without something sweet. Stock up on milk chocolate truffles, raspberry butter cremes and more at Baxley’s Chocolates in Sylva. At the Dillsboro Chocolate Factory, you can get your fill of what they call “Smoky Mountain sweetness,” which ranges from fudge and truffles to candy and more. For a more custom celebration, order a personalized cake at Cream and Flutter in Cashiers.
Step 5: Plan your wedding! Why not return to the place of your proposal to make your commitment official? There are numerous sites and locations throughout Jackson County that make beautiful wedding memories. Check out our wedding page for more information.
Congratulations on your upcoming proposal! Spending this special moment in Jackson County will be something you and your family will remember for the rest of your lives. Begin preparations by requesting a free Visitor Guide today.