Our Itinerary for a Successful Family Reunion
While family reunions present the opportunity for creating some of the best memories, oftentimes the biggest challenge can be deciding on where to go. Enter: Jackson County, NC. From our mom-approved rapids to lakeside lounging, horseback riding and more, there’s no doubt you’ll discover fun for every age and stage here.
Read on for our sample itinerary for a warm-weather family reunion in the Blue Ridge Mountains!
- Drop your bags at your basecamp in Sylva, whether that’s at a bed & breakfast such as Whistle Stop, an inn like Outland Chalet & Suites, a hotel like Best Western Plus River Escape, or other. Visit our Lodging page to find what’s most suitable for you and your family.
- While some members of the group get settled, keep others entertained and head to Downtown Sylva to explore the coffee shops, bookstores, craft breweries and more within the charming town.
- For dinner, head to Lulu’s, a favorite on Sylva’s Main Street that offers eclectic dining complete with a kids’ menu. From robust salads to savory meatloaf to thai chicken soup, the dishes are sure to satisfy.
- Grab breakfast at City Lights Café and afterwards, work off the calories with a hike at Pinnacle Park.
- Regroup and head on over to Tuckaseegee Outfitters to get wet and wild with a guided rafting trip.
- In the evening, visit Sylva’s neighboring town of Dillsboro for dinner at Haywood Smokehouse, followed by a trip to Dillsboro Chocolate Factory for some treats.
- Eat breakfast at The Farmhouse Café, then hop in the car for a daytrip over to Cashiers.
- Stroll through Cashiers’ downtown district and check out The Village Green a 13.2-acre park that features gardens, sculpture and a playground guaranteed to make imaginations soar. Enjoy a lunch at Zookeeper Bistro, then pop into Crossroads Custard & Cold Brew for an afternoon pick-me-up or refreshing soft serve.
- Before you head back to Sylva, spend the afternoon at Lake Glenville. Bring the family to the Pines Recreation Area or book a scenic waterfall cruise with Captain Mark’s Scenic Boat Tours.
- Start the final day with coffee at White Moon and then head over to Smokemont Riding Stables for a family-friendly horseback riding experience.
- Back in Sylva, grab lunch at Mad Batter Kitchen and spend more time shopping downtown. If you haven’t yet, pop into Jackson’s General Store for all kinds of souvenirs from t-shirts to fridge magnets.
- Have one final group meal at ILDA for hearty pasta dishes, sharable plates, wine and cocktails.
We hope this itinerary helps as a starting point for planning your next family reunion in Jackson County! For more helpful tips, check out our official Trip Planner.
Share on Social Media